web analytics

So let’s talk

For almost the last year I have been telling doctors I thought something was wrong.  I wasn’t in pain or anything but I just “knew” something was off.  The first doc did the obligatory ultrasound.  She found nothing, basically patted me on the head and brushed me off.  A few months later I saw another doc in the practice and she referred me to a specialist.  I was very excited with the prospect that the new doctor would do more testing and figure out what was going on.

Matt and I met with the new doc in April and she also did an ultrasound and few other “minor” tests.  Again we were told everything was fine.  Finally Matt and I decided we wanted a second opinion so I called another specialist and scheduled an appointment.  Much to our surprise the new doctor immediately offered up more testing ideas.  Tests we’d never heard of, or knew about.  With new found information I decided to have a laproscopy last Thursday.  We went in knowing the doctor could find nothing but it’s a minor surgery with a pretty quick recovery time.  Plus my insurance covers 100% after my deductible and my work pays almost all of my deductible.

The receptionist called on Tuesday to schedule my surgery and by the end of the day I had a Thursday afternoon appt.  Let’s face it, I do much better when I don’t have time to think about things so the quick turnaround was great!

Thursday morning I worked from home and around noon Matt and I headed to the surgical center.  Overall my experience wasn’t too bad, aside from the epic IV fail.  Nurse 1 did a really bad job which lead to a full blown “episode”.  An episode includes my blood pressure dropping, my heart rating slowing down and me on the verge of passing out.  A little oxygen and a wet washcloth later, I was feeling better and ready for try number 2.  Nurse 2 decided to numb my hand and then insert the IV.  I’m never going back.  This is totally the way to go. 😉

Before long (well it was kind of long, the new doc is always running behind) the ER nurses came to get me.  The next thing I remember is waking up in recovery asking for Matt.  The nurse grabbed him and then the doc came by armed with pics.  Not only did I have endometriosis, I also had a cyst on my ovary that was blocking a tube, and I had a polyp.  No one, new doc included had seen any of this on any of the numerous ultrasounds I’d had done in the past months.  The doctor showed Matt the pics and probably 20 – 30 mins later we were headed home.

I slept most of Thursday night and Friday morning I got up thinking I was going to work from home.  Umm yeah.  I was up for about 5 minutes when the nausea set in and I ended up laying on the couch for the rest of the morning.  I did have a few things I needed to take care of for work so I kept my eye on that but nothing else.

Today is Tuesday and I’m still not at 100%.  I’m probably not quite at 85% but I’m feeling better.  My incisions are healing I guess.  (They are covered in glue)  My pain levels are down and now mostly I’m just a lot of uncomfortable.  I bought some black yoga pants to wear this week and they feel nice.  My work chair, however, SUCKS!

Anyway the point to me writing all of this down is to say, if you feel like something is wrong keep pushing for answers.  Granted I didn’t have anything seriously wrong with me but all of  those things can cause issues.  Now it’s been fixed and we can move on.  I am so thankful for a local blogger.  I reached out to her and she was super kind, told me about her situation and referred me to our new doctor.  Without her Matt and I might still be looking for answers!



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *